So the Super Saw Bench is finally finished…..it was quite the project, but well worth it…I’m very pleased with the results.
I’ll walk you through the final construction details and then a couple money shots. 🙂
So if you read my last post ARecipeForBetterSawing then you got a peek at the supports that I cut for the leg assemblies. I realized as I was trestling up the bench, that I was going to have a hell of a time attaching the legs to the two top pieces, so I devised these side supports. The idea was, I could glue them to the cross members of the leg assemblies and drill through them to attach the top pieces with lag screws.
Take a look….you can see the side supports glued on. I used some yellow pine I had that fit the bill nicely…
This was my first time working with yellow pine…I pulled this sweet quarter sawn piece out of the trash somewhere. (Yes, I rescue wood from the trash. Doesn’t everyone?) 😉
After I glued on the side supports, I had to true up the two top pieces. I hadn’t touched these since cross cutting them way back when after I ripped the original 6 x 8 beam in half. Planing rough white oak is tough enough, but spotted with knots and reversing grain like these two beasts were, was no fun at all…
With the tops trued up I could lay up the legs and top and mark out the lag bolt holes. I went back and forth a lot about how to join these two together…I could have used massive oak dowels, ala timber framing, or cut dados into the cross members and just glued them. I voted down this last method because of concern for cross grain movement. In the end, I stayed true to my simple values and went with lag screws. Quick, tough, and easy.
Yes, I broke down here and used power tools…the only time in the whole project. Oh well….my arms and shoulders were killing from all that planing and I told myself it didn’t count as a power tool ’cause it doesn’t have a cord. 🙂
Anyway, the impact driver made quick work of the 6 inch lag screws…four in each leg assembly. And here she is….
As soon as she was done, I flipped her on her feet and grabbed the closest board at hand, slapped her on the top, and had at ‘er with my favorite crosscut #7.
All I can say is…..WOAH…she is STURDY!!!! Like a well bred Bavarian beer maid, this lil lady took all of my weight bearing down on her with nary a squeak!!! 😉
Say goodbye to my old saw bench (Sorry Chris!!!)…the Super Saw Bench is HERE!!!!
I’d say she weighs a good 125 to 150 lbs…hard to tell given the size. The bench is touch over 4 feet long and 12 inches wide. I left a space in between the two top beams to allow ripping down the center. The only thing left to do is bore the holes for the hold fasts…
Oh, and once I had the final assembly together, I did true up the top with my jointer plane. I started with diagonal strokes across the ripping trench, and finished up with the grain….just like truing up a bench top.
In an up-coming post, I’ll bore the holes for the hold fasts and show her in action.
Oh, and since this post was a little light on gratuitous saw action shots, I figured I share some pics of my latest saw rehab…I finally finished the handle on that Disston #12 from the GramercyToolsSawHandleMakersRasp post a little while back.
Here she is reunited with her other half….
I stained the patch with some red mahogany stain and finished with amber shellac rubbed out and waxed. I think the repair went well. I actually had to carve some wheat leaves in the bottom of the handle to blend the patch appropriately…that was a first! (Look Marv!!!)
Once I get her sharpened up, maybe I’ll break her in on my new saw bench. 🙂